Four new cases of the novel coronavirus have been confirmed in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said. The Ministry said in a statement published on its website Monday night that one of the cases has improved and left the hospital; the other three are still receiving treatment.
28 cases of the coronavirus infection have been reported in Saudi Arabia. 15 people have died from the virus, thought to be similar to the one that caused SARS. The outbreak appears to be clustered in the eastern part of the country, especially the oasis of al-Ahsa near the Gulf coast.
Experts from the World Health Organization visited the region earlier this week and said there are still many unanswered questions about the disease. “I would like to remind everyone that this is a new infection,” said WHO Assistant Director-General Keiji Fukuda in a statement, “and there are also many gaps in our knowledge that will inevitably take time to fill in.”
Other cases of the coronavirus have been reported in the UAE, France, Britain and Germany.